On August 21, 1921 on the last day of Camp Sychar, the Knox Holiness Association was formed to bring a holiness church to Mount Vernon. The leadership was provided by Reverend John Crider and later by Reverend John R. Patrick.

The group met in various locations in Mount Vernon until it found a place to meet regularly in the basement of the Oakland Restaurant, on the southeast corner of West High and South Mulberry Street. It was known there as the Mulberry Street Mission.

On May 30, 1922 under the direction of District Superintendent Reverend C.R. Chilton, the Mount Vernon First Church of the Nazarene was organized with 16 charter members. Reverend William H. Rittenberg became the first pastor of the church.

In January of 1956 the church board voted to purchase the current property on Coshocton Avenue. The building was completed on January 1, 1960. The church has continued to grow and expand at its current location.